news

Conor McGregor ranks himself second in 'GOAT' UFC fighters list
24.05.2020
Conor McGregor has declared himself as the second greatest MMA fighter of all time behind Anderson Silva. The Dubliner, 31, took to Twitter on Saturday to anoint Silva, but said he will "easily" surpass the Brazilian before retiring. McGregor last fought in January, defeating Donald Cerrone at UFC 246. "The array of finishes, across 2 divisions, with champion status in 1, Anderson Silva is No.1 MMA GOAT," said McGregor. McGregor, who has a 22-4 record in the UFC, claims his "champion status" in two divisions - featherweight and lightweight - is enough to secure him second place behind former middleweight champion Silva. "My array of finishes, across 3 divisions, with champion status in 2, I'm No.2. If not tied one. "However [I am] still active, No.1 is fully secured by career end. And easily." McGregor's top four i
More details
Coronavirus: Man Utd say pandemic has cost them £28m so far
22.05.2020
Manchester United say the coronavirus pandemic has cost them an initial £28m - and expect the final figure to be far higher. United revealed their third-quarter results to 31 March on Thursday. Chief financial officer Cliff Baty said they are set to hand back £20m in TV revenue to broadcasters even if the Premier League season is completed. United lost an additional £8m over the final three weeks of March, when they had three matches postponed. A total of 11 United matches have been postponed because of the pandemic. Speaking in a conference call after the latest financial results were released, Baty explained that Premier League television broadcasters would get £20m back from the club because of changes in dates and kick-off times resulting from the pandemic. With games called off - including matches in the Europa League and FA Cup - Baty said
More details
Kubrat Pulev warns Anthony Joshua he will not step aside for Tyson Fury bout
21.05.2020
Kubrat Pulev says he will not step away from his shot at the world heavyweight belts and warned Anthony Joshua "you either fight or vacate the title". The Bulgarian is mandatory challenger for Joshua's IBF title but their planned bout on 20 June was postponed. It led to talk of Pulev being paid to step aside so Joshua could face Tyson Fury for all four heavyweight belts. "I can't understand why we are still postponing instead of fixing a date and venue and getting to work?" said Pulev. "Enough is enough. I can't wait to win this fight. "I see how people are afraid of me and are trying to face someone else before me. That's not how a real world champion should act." 'Fights in a back garden' - 5 Live Boxing Pulev was due to face Briton Joshua in 2017 but withdrew because of injury and was also in mandator
More details
Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan tests positive for coronavirus
20.05.2020
Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan has tested positive for coronavirus, the Premier League club has confirmed. The Clarets' first-team squad and staff were all tested for Covid-19 at the weekend, before a return to training. Burnley say former midfielder Woan, 52, is "asymptomatic" and will now self-isolate for seven days. There were six positive tests across three Premier League clubs on Sunday and Monday, as the English top flight prepares to resume in June. A total of 748 players and staff from 19 clubs were tested. Norwich City did their tests on Tuesday so will be included in Saturday's results. Squads started non-contact training from Tuesday.
More details
Project Restart: Premier League plan surprise inspections during training
19.05.2020
Surprise inspections, GPS tracking and video analysis are methods that could be used to ensure clubs adhere to new safety guidance as they prepare for the resumption of the Premier League. Teams agreed to start non-contact training in small groups from Tuesday. "Gradually, we aim to ramp that up so we can have an inspector at every training ground," said Richard Garlick, the league's director of football. "That will enable us to give confidence the protocols are being complied with." He added: "We are looking at bringing in our own independent audit inspection team that we'll scale up over the next few days which will give us the ability to have inspections at training grounds to start with on a no-notice basis." After Monday's 'Project Restart' meeting with clubs, Richard Masters, Premier League's chief execu
More details
Premier League's Project Restart set to move a step closer
18.05.2020
Premier League clubs hope to give their players the go-ahead to return to training in small groups this week. But there is a growing feeling the intended 12 June date for matches to start again will need to be pushed back. A vote is due to take place on training and medical protocols when the 20 top-flight clubs hold their next meeting on Monday morning. If passed, players would be able to train in groups of five from Tuesday. That would be on condition that they observe social distancing rules and adhere to a series of strict criteria, which include getting changed at home and driving to training grounds on their own. At least 14 of the 20 clubs must agree that safety protocols are sufficient for the plan to be approved. La Liga clubs set to start group training Premier League clubs facing £340m TV refund even if season resumes Restrictions in place for te
More details
Football in England: Government 'opens door for safe return in June'
15.05.2020
The government says it is "opening the door" for the return of professional football in England in June. Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said Thursday's meeting with the Football Association, Premier League and English Football League had "progressed plans". He added that plans for the sport to resume should "include widening access for fans to view live coverage". Meanwhile, England's deputy chief medical officer said any return would be "slow" and "measured". The Premier League met on Monday to discuss "Project Restart" and hopes for a return to action on 12 June, with matches played behind closed doors. "We all agreed that we will only go ahead if it is safe to do so and the health and welfare of players, coaches and staff comes first," said Dowden. "It is now up to the football author
More details
Formula 1: Ferrari to sign Carlos Sainz as Daniel Ricciardo set for McLaren
14.05.2020
Carlos Sainz is poised to replace Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari with Daniel Ricciardo set to take the Spaniard's seat at McLaren. Talks to seal the two moves are ongoing and no final agreements have been reached, but they are expected to be concluded and announced this week. McLaren have been chasing Ricciardo for some time and his signing is a coup. But they must release Sainz from his contractual obligations before signing the Australian. Sainz had been in negotiations to stay with McLaren beyond 2020 but the appeal of joining a top team has convinced him to move. Vettel to leave Ferrari at end of season Could Vettel's Ferrari frustration lead to retirement from F1? The teams and drivers have been in negotiations for some time and talks are understood to be in their final stages. The domino effect in the driver market was triggered when negotiations ov
More details
Premier League: Restrictions in place for team training under 'Project Restart'
13.05.2020
Tackling will be banned, pitches disinfected and players restricted to groups of five when the Premier League starts a first phase of team training. Official protocols sent to players and managers on Tuesday and obtained by the BBC reveal that social distancing must be "strictly observed". Corner-flags, balls, cones, goalposts and even playing surfaces will be disinfected after each session. League bosses hope training can begin on Monday, restricted to 75 minutes. Ongoing surveillance measures included in further guidance include twice-weekly testing, and a daily pre-training questionnaire and temperature check. Under a section titled 'health screening', players are also told a central register of Covid-19 test results (subject to their consent and Professional Footballers' Association agreement) will need to be maintained. They are also informed
More details
Coronavirus: No professional sport in England until 1 June at earliest
12.05.2020
No professional sport, even behind closed doors, will be staged in England until 1 June at the earliest, the UK government has announced. The government has published a 50-page guidance document detailing how England will begin to ease lockdown measures. Step two of that plan - which will not be allowed to start before 1 June - includes "permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact". Speaking in the House of Commons on Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said being able to hold sporting events behind closed doors could "provide a much-needed boost to national morale". The document states that reopening venues that attract large crowds, such as sports grounds, "may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of in
More details